24 March 2008

The English Language


Randomly came across some strange stuffs and thought i should post something.Truly English is awesome!! And i love it...You may go crazy as you read this ;-)
    It is true that English is a peculiar language. Look at the following examples of its inconsistency.
 
There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;
Neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.
We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
Writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham. If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of both beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?
Does it not seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, that you comb through annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? 
If teachers taught, why didn't preacher praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
If you wrote a letter, perhaps you bote your tongue?
In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?
Park on driveways and drive on parkways?
Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are absent?
Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown?
Met a sung hero or experienced requited love?
You have to marvel at the unique fluency of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race(which of course, isn't race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this blog, I end it?
                                                                          (source: EET)

5 comments:

  1. ha ha ha
    enjoyed readind this!!!
    keep posting Sindy....
    love:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :P...really awesome...funny:) and worth giving a praise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am so grateful I found yοur websitе, I really found you bу acсident, ωhile I was researching оn Dіgg fοг something elsе, Νonеthelеsѕ I am here now and ωould just likе to ѕаy kudos for a гemагkаble post and a
    all round exciting blog (I also lοve thе theme/desіgn), I don’t have timе to browse іt all аt thе minute but I hаve ѕaved іt anԁ alѕo
    added your RSS feeds, so whеn I have tіme I will be back to read a great deal more, Рleasе ԁo keep up the awesomе jo.



    mу web-site: beat premature ejaculation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for stopping by!!!
Let me know what you have to say .↓..↓.
Feel free...